Sunday, February 13, 2022

Siem Reap.......

So, a few days out of the routine of eat, sleep, ride repeat. Back in tourist central; but tourists are few and far between. Most of the foreigners here (at least that I've spoken to) are expats: an exotic menagerie of misfits, chancers, deadbeats and alcoholics. I really must start drinking in better quality bars.........



Had an abortive ride out to see Tonle Sap, the massive lake in the middle of Cambodia. I was stopped a couple of kms or so from the lake to be told I couldn't ride the rest of the way as the road was too dangerous and flooded (despite the 8 year old kids riding 5 up on scooters sailing past). I would have to take the boat the rest of the way, it would only cost me $25 (gawd bless 'em for trying!!).  Lake unseen, a quick U-turn and I was headed back to Siem Reap to buy my day pass for the Angkor Wat complex. Currently doing a 2 day pass for the price of a 1 day. All I need to do is get up early enough to use it.






Two full days of temple hopping, the "big" and "little loops" and Banterei Srei. Decided to hire a tuk tuk for the duration; partly so I didn't have to carry my lid and worry about the bike safety while in the temples, but also as I felt compelled to try and help the local economy a bit (other than the bars...!) Covid has decimated the tourist industry here.

 So many temples, but the real standout was Ta Phrom (the "tomb raider" temple). Beautiful, with the jungle noises hanging in the air and the trees devouring the ancient stone like a relentless alien life form.








Easy to get trapped in Siem Reap; an abundance of sights to see and bars to try. But, I need to tear myself away; this is a bike trip after all.

Soundtrack: Tool - "Sober"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heading back south.......

The road south from Mae Sariang (the fabulous 105) runs very close to the Burmese border. Spectacular scenery and blissful riding: swooping ...