Thursday, February 3, 2022

The bike.......

After sleeping most of the afternoon, I went to the first of the bike rental places on my shortlist (Victory MotorBike) to check out potential rides. No CRF250 available, but they had a nice old Honda XR250 Baja. It has seen better days, but with a new chain and sprockets, new brake pads and decent tyres, it wasn't half bad; and after a brief test ride, it seems to run OK. It's an old school carb bike, not fuel injected (HEY!! Wake up at the back, this is education!).

I tried one other rental place, but in my heart I had already settled on the Baja. After some friendly negotiations with Johnny (the owner, who seemed affable enough, but since when have I been a good judge of character??), it works out at US$16 a day. Think it is a decent enough price, as long as it gets me round.


As usual, I then went out to drink far too much in an attempt to kill the jet lag. Woke up at 2 the following afternoon with a sore head; so I guess it worked! Went back to Victory to sort out the paperwork for the bike. I picked up the bike the next day, so, road trip๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ๐Ÿค˜.......


Some tedious but necessary admin to do first though. I thought my visa was for 30 days, but when they stamped me into the country on the 31st Jan, they gave me 29 days ("1 month".....damn you February with your 28 days!!!!) So I am trying to change my plane ticket which I'd booked for the day after my visa runs out. Also got to suss a PCR test before I can leave the country, which needs booking 2 weeks in advance (according to the interwebs). Also, Singapore airlines are being difficult about changing my ticket dates, so I've applied for the Thai "test & go" pass and will try to go direct from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, avoiding Singapore altogether for the time being.


Soundtrack: Sleaford Mods - "Routine Dean" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heading back south.......

The road south from Mae Sariang (the fabulous 105) runs very close to the Burmese border. Spectacular scenery and blissful riding: swooping ...